Monday, November 1, 2010

Varanasi and Goa

So I just spent a million years uploading pictures from Goa and Varanasi. I'm probably not going to put a lot of captions or explanations or anything because it will take forever. Sorry! But everything is good in India and I only have 4 more weeks of class left. I hope everyone is doing well!






I walked down this alleyway and saw the headless sculptures. It turned out to be a workshop, making Kali statues for a festival in November. The guys were really nice and let me take lots of pictures.








A vegetable stand/temple


Bathing in the Ganga... the water is sooo dirty and polluted - corpses of babies and pregnant women float downstream.

the school bus
I just thought it wasn't very reassuring to have a used wooden leg outside the doctor's office.









lots of buildings...



Most tourists take sunrise boat rides down the river.






This is where they burn the bodies... you're not supposed to take pictures, but i took this one on accident.




Temples
People who went before told me Varanasi was dirty and chaotic, but i actually found it pretty calm in the neighborhoods.




A beggar woman asking for alms.



All the kids ran after me, screaming "ek photo"

Weighing out the wood for the ghats.
me in goa

Jewelry seller and her daughter.










My house in Goa is on the other side of the school

I got caught in the rain once and the lifeguards gave me a ride back.

People put flowers on the motorbikes on the festival day. (i drove one around.)
This is Umer's shop, while we were still fixing it up.



1 comment: